Soup. Soothing, tasty, more filling than you’d expect and easy to make. I’ve covered a white winter vegetable soup in these pages alredy. The other week, when I went for lunch with a friend of mine, we had a clear winter vegetable soup that I liked so much I decided to copy it.
I use baking potatoes for this recipe. The starch in the potatoe is what gives the soup liquer its silky texture, so a floury potato, one meant for baking or roasting, is the best option.
Serves: 4. Prep: 5 minutes. Cooking time: 30 minutes.
Stores: For up to 3 days in the fridge, for up to 3 months in the freezer.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, about 200 grams
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 3 celery stalks, about 100 grams (optional)
- 1 baking potato, about 200 grams
- 3 carrots, about 200 grams
- 1 sprig fresh thyme (optional)
- 0.5 head Chinese leaf
- 1-1.5 litre boiling water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopping board
- Soup pot
- Wooden spoon
- Fork or toothpick
- Chop the onion and garlic.
- Heat the olive oil.
- Soften the onions and garlic.
- Meanwhile, chop the celery, potato and carrots into 0.5cm cubes (larger cubes are fine, but they take longer to cook) and add to the onions.
- Cook for a few minutes to soften the celery and get a little colour on the potatoes.
- Add half a litre of water and stir.
- Simmer for a few minutes on medium heat.
- Add the thyme (if using) but remove after a minute or two. It gives off its flavour quickly and could over-power the flavours of the vegetables.
- The vegetables are ready when the carrots are soft enough – test them with a toothpick or fork. adding more water to make the soup the consistency you want.
- Finely chop the Chinese leaf and add to the soup.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Add grains: A couple of handfuls of pearl barley turns this simple soup into a vegan Scotch broth and makes it more filling.
- Add tomatoes: For a different flavour, add a couple of chopped tomatoes to the soup.
- Add parsnip: Any root vegetables can be used for this type of soup. If you have swede or parsnip, chop it up and add.
0 comments on “Clear Winter Vegetable Soup”Add yours →