How many you get depends on the size of your cases. I use small-ish silicone muffin cases so get 16 muffins out of this mix. They are tasty, moist and freeze well.
Serves: Up to 16. Prep: 10 minutes. Cooking time: 15 minutes.
Stores: For up to 4 days well wrapped in the kitchen; for up to 3 months frozen. (Muffins defrost in about 15 minutes at room temp. Or 10 seconds in a microwave.)
- 200 grams plain flour
- 150 grams wholemeal flour
- 225 sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 0.5 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 apples, grated (about 180 grams)
- 60 grams syrup
- 225 grams apple juice (or 200 ml water and 25 ml lemon juice)
- 100 grams almond (or vegetable) oil
- Muffin cases or muffin tray
- Baking sheet for the cases (not needed if you’re using a muffin tray)
- Mixing bowl
- Teaspoon measure, or teaspoon
- Whisk or wooden spoon for mixing
- Measuring jug
- Two table spoons
- Cooling rack
- First, turn on the oven and set out the muffin cases on the baking sheet. (Or prepare the muffin tray – it probably needs greasing to help the muffins come out.)
- Weigh out the flours and sugar into the mixing bowl.
- Measure out the raising agents and add the grated apples to the flour.
- Put the measuring jug onto the scales and zero.
- Weigh out the syrup and zero again.
- Weigh out the apple juice (or water and lemon juice mixture).
- Heat the liquid, either in a microwave (about 1 minute will do it) or on the stove and mix to dissolve the syrup.
- Weigh out the almon oil.
- Add the warm liquids to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Using the table spoons, divde the mixture between the muffin cases. Leave a little space at the top so they can rise.
- Put the muffins in the oven and cook for 15 minutes.
- Check that the muffins are done with a stick.
- If they’re done, take them out to cool on the rack, else give them another couple of minutes.
- Spiced apple muffins: Add a teaspoon each of cinnamon and ginger to the mix.
- Toffee apple muffins: Put a dollop of dulche de leche in the middle of the muffin (and test the outside for donness, not the middle as this won’t cook).
- Courgette muffins: Instead of apple, finely grate and add 180 grams of courgette. Add some spice too.
- Turn it into cake: Lower the temperature to 180, put the batter in a cake tin and bake for 30-50 minutes (lower time for flat cake tins, higher for deep tins).