When I first floated the idea of this website, I mentioned cheese on toast as one of the recipes I’d feature. The response was raised eye-brows. This one isn’t very difficult, but still, here’s a recipe.
Serves 1. Prep: 8 minutes. Cooking: 5 minutes.
Stores: Badly. Eat at once or you’ll have cold dry bread with rubbery cheese.
- Grill pan
- Cheese grater/knife
- 1 slice of bread
- Enough cheese to cover the slice (10 to 20 grams).
- Heat the grill.
- Toast the bread on one side under the grill.
- Turn over.
- Cover the soft side with cheese and return under the grill.
- Grill for a few minutes, until bubbling and slightly browned.
- Put something nice under the cheese: Marmite, tomato chutney, a thin smear of mustard.
- Use different cheese: Cheddar melts well, as does blue cheese and goats cheese.
- Parmesan (or Italian style hard cheese, the veggie version): See: how to choose cheese.