Drömmar – dreams – are light, melt-in-the-mouth, vanilla flavoured Swedish biscuits. The recipe that I have uses oil to give them an extra light texture. I used lemon infused oil to add an interesting flavour twist.
Makes: 40-50. Prep: Cooking time: 15 mins.
Stores: In the cupboard, in a sealed container, for a week. In the freezer, for up to three months.
- 75 grams butter
- 140 grams caster sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar, or 0.5 cap vanilla essence
- 5 cl vegetable oil
- 160 grams plain flour
- 0.5 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Turn the oven to 150C.
- Cream sugar, vanilla sugar and butter until soft.
- Add the oil and mix until airy.
- Mix flour and bicarbonate of soda.
- Mix into the butter and sugar mixture.
- Roll the dough into sausages, cut and roll into small balls.
- Put on a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Bake in the middle of the over for about 15 minutes. The biscuits should have risen, be pale golden – not brown – and have cracks.
- Let cool before serving.
- If you have flavoured oil, like lemon-flavoured rapeseed, or hazelnut, use that instead of the vegetable oil. (Avoid very savoury oils like olive and sesame, they don’t work as well with sweet things.)